Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Rugby, Sevens"

Rugby let me know after work yesterday that he was feeling pretty neglected since I skipped his training for a couple days. So, I decided to help him use up all that energy he was using to bounce continuously around me and in my face. Since 10:30 pm is as good a time as any to train, we took a walk up to the elementary school with our go-out target sticks, gloves and video camera. The glove video didn't turn out since I didn't bring a big enough tri-pod to be able to see what we were actually doing.

I am happy with the go-outs though! I mentioned a couple days ago that he had begun to lay down on the turn and sit. Yesterday he only did this twice (half the time).

I have only been using the target sticks if he stops before I sit him or if he gets too far off his path.The first go-out we did and the last go-out we did were descent. Eventually we will have to get him going a little bit straighter and sitting a little bit straighter. For now I am just going to worry about getting him out there and actually sitting.

 For the first go-out I walked out to praise him and release him. The two in the middle he dropped. The first time he dropped I gave him a sit signal and the second time I walked out and put him in a sit. The last one he got praise right away for sitting and I walked out to him to release him. That is where we stopped so that he could end on a good note.



GOOD BOY RUGBY!! There is definitely progress being made!

2 comments:

  1. He looks like he's training to go on a covert mission out there in the dark! It's fun to watch him work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go outs are just so cool when the dog has them figured out. Love it.

    ReplyDelete