Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Protection

If you don't protect your dog, who will? 

The answer to that question is no one. Your dog needs protection from countless number of people, situations and from other dogs. This past week, Rugby (and Diesel too) needed some protection from other dogs. I will never understand why people think all dogs want to be friends. I will never understand why people think it is fine to let their dogs run up to another strange dog and loom over them, or why people think it is fine to let their dogs pester others while on stays. Even if my dog wouldn't mind socializing with yours, that is just plain rude!

Personal Protection
Last night was the first time in a long time that I went to visit Diesel. He came with Rugby and I to the community center in his neighborhood to do some training. Rugby went first. I left Diesel on a Down/Stay about 50ft away and off to the side. About halfway through Rugby's training an off lead English Springer Spaniel come from around the corner of the community center (near where Diesel was left). His owner was following behind, but made no effort to stop his dog from approaching Diesel. Before the dog ever had the chance, I called Diesel to me. He came, although he did look over his shoulder a couple of times at the dog that continued to follow him.

It wasn't until Diesel was more than half way to me that the spaniel's owner realized I did not want his dog harassing mine. That is when he started to call his dog back. Or tried to. I grabbed the leash Diesel had been dragging, and picked Rugby up in anticipation of the dog reaching us before the owner could do anything about it. Luckily, he gave up and returned to his owner where he was then attached to a flexi and walked away.

That was the second time in a week someone let their untrained, rude, obnoxious dog approach us. What are people thinking? If it was Rugby that had been on a Down/Stay, this may have ended much differently. He could not have gotten back to me in time, and his coming to me would have elicited a much stronger 'chase' response in the spaniel. I have to park him next to a bear next time for protection.

3 comments:

  1. Most of the off leash dogs that we encounter are not under the control of their owners, which aggravates me to no end! Everyone seems to live in this delusional world where their dog actually listens to them or something. Inevitably, they try to tell me it's my fault, because my dogs walked by. Um, yeah, no! If your dog's brain disengages when he sees another dog, then he really isn't under control. *sigh* I'm glad that things worked out and you and the dogs were safe!

    How on Earth did you get Rugby into a Bass Pro shop? I didn't think they let dogs in, but one just opened near us! I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't even start me on all those out of control dogs off leahs, I guess its a matter of location. I am pretty much just sick of them.

    Bass Pro shop does allow dogs in, but the also have out of control cashier register workers who think they can be all over your dog without asking for permission:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am catching up on blog reading. What a coincidence, my last post was on a similar topic. Only I was discussing aggressive dogs approaching ours while we are out walking (on lead). I just don't understand why people think leaving dogs to wander is OK?

    Glad it all worked out for you.

    Love the picture of Rugby in Bass Pro. That is a favorite place for the 2 brown dawgs. :)

    ReplyDelete